Friday, March 4, 2011

BEDFORT: Paris-train-Bayeux



You know how hard it is to draw a little French town using Paint? Very hard. ^See above ^

So we woke up on Wednesday needing to waste a little time in Paris before leaving for the train station at abour 1:30. We decided to do this by going to futz around on the Champs Elysees, and wow doesn't "futz" look really weird written down? Huh. We were able to leave our bags at the hostel after checking out because hostels are great. Why don't we have them in the States? And I know people are thinking, "Well we do. But people get hacked to pieces in them." But I haven't seen that movie so your argument is invalid. Wait, where was the movie even set? Probably in Europe, actually. All the terrifying things happen in Europe. Jack the Ripper. Mass public transportation. Kilts.

So we get to the street and of course nothing is open because it's 9am and Europe is ridiculous. So we just find a coffee shop and stare at each other tiredly until the stores start opening. The first place we go to is Sephora, but I'm pretty sure I was just as uncomfortable in there as our guy friend, because my make-up never costs more than $5, and those employees looked like they were about to pounce at any second. I wanted to gtfo asap. After Sephora we split from our poor male friend (who of course went to Adidas, Nike, and all the car stores because he's a MAN), and did the girl thing at a few random places. At H&M I looked like a first-rate creep because my friends were trying stuff on for a long ass time, and I was just standing, staring at the merchandise for about twenty minutes. Any longer and I probably would have been thrown out on the street with my purse dumped out. An important stop for me was this media store place that I forget the name of, where I was determined to find a new memory card. Unfortunately for me, even though my camera is only three years old, it is apparently obsolete, and none of the cards were compatible. Fricken technology.

So we went back to our hostel to get our stuff, but while there I had the time to check my email and do internet things. Now, English keyboards are different from American, but those were pretty easy to get used to. French keyboards are not like that. They're all completely screwed up and I had to actually go upstairs and ask my friends how to find and press @. Now @ is a very important key. I shouldn't have to fight the computer to try to figure it out and how would I even know that pressing alt and then the key gets it to show up? How would I ever figure that out? That's completely mental. HARRY POTTER ALWAYS RELEVANT. We then hopped on another train to a train, where we had paid for our tickets weeks ago, but they were never checked. So glad I spent 30 euro on a trip that could have been free. Awesome.

We arrived in Bayeux and one of the first things we saw was a sign on a cafe saying "Welcome to our liberators." Not a joke. We were able to make our way to our hotel with the aid of a very helpful car dealership worker and her highlighted map of the town. Speaking of the town, it was adorable. I didn't learn this until the next day, but whatever- what makes Bayeux so unique in the area is everything looks how it did before the war. Before and on D-Day, the Germans occupying the town split to go to Caen, a nearby bigger town. So Bayeux was the first town liberated and had no destruction at all. And you can tell walking around the village. SO MANY BAKERIES. That doesn't really have anything to do with anything, but it's still a fact. Pretty much all I had to eat while there were baguette sandwiches and pain au chocolats (pains au chocolat?). Once again, NO REGRETS.

No comments:

Post a Comment